Friday, July 9, 2010

I’m Moving Forward!

It didn’t hit me until just now – as I was reviewing the creative “farewell” posters that my summer camp students made for me (on the sneak tip) – that I am officially a full-time entrepreneur. I shed some tears, too. It wasn’t out of sadness but rather joy.

In the year’s time that I worked as my employer’s program coordinator for the after school and camp director for the summer camp, I know I have made a tremendous difference and had an impact on the lives of the elementary and middle school students I served.

I’ve seen academic and social growth. I’ve seen a change in behavior. I’ve seen the students take responsibility for their lives. Students, who in the beginning were not focusing on their work, became my prized “scholars.” These same students went from dodging their work to requesting to sit beside me so that they could get their work done. My students would literally play tug-of-war with my arms because everyone wanted to be Ms. Huff’s partner when I came to pick them up from school to attend the after-school program. They’d surprise me with colorful and detailed drawings of me with pigtails! They’ve hugged me long and hard when they come into my classroom and when they see me on the streets of Brooklyn.

I feel good deep down in my soul because I know I have done right by my students. However, it is simply time to step into my season,. I miss “my babies” already but I know that I have to
do this. Oh yes, I’m going to see ALL my students again. It will just be in a different capacity the next time.

I am excited for me. I am confidant in myself and in the gifts, talents and personality that God has given me. Therefore, I am not afraid of what the immediate or far future holds. 2 Timothy 1:7 in The Holy Bible says, “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”

I encourage all my single mom sisters to embrace your “season”
and know that it is okay to move forward in faith, integrity, hope and tenacity. You have everything that you need to succeed within you. Believe that truth. I do. That’s exactly why I am moving forward. On my MARK... Get SET…. Go Feona... GO!!!!!!

Until the next time I write you... I'm just living the solo mommy life.

Love you!

Feona Sharhran Huff
Founder & CEO
Solo Mommy Magazine
http://livingthesolomommylife.blogspot.com/