Sunday, November 7, 2010

I'm Putting ME on My To-Do List!


Take the children to acting class. Check. Get on a conference call with a music studio executive. Check. Take my mom shopping. Check. Take Feona to dinner and a movie. What?! (scratching my scalp as I say this out loud)

If you saw my daily to-do list, you'd scratch your head in amazement -- not because the list of duties nearly runs off the page but because nothing is centered just around me. It's my fault, though. After all, I am the one in control of scheduling my days. Realizing this, however, I have decided to make a significant change.

This past Friday evening (November 5, 2010) was the beginning of a beautiful relationship with ME. I put me on my to-do list without guilt. I went to see Tyler Perry's film, "For Colored Girls" with a group of 16 savvy ladies, thanks to The Sex CEO & Annamjohnson.com. We sat in three rows equipped with nachos, soda, popcorn and tissue (oh yes... there was some crying going on!). I had a chance to network with ladies who are doing phenomenal things. I laughed, cried, networked and enjoyed being in the company of other ladies.

I'm glad that I went out. It was part of my social development and a great source of balance for all the many things I do for my children and others. And you know what? I'm going to do it again! I just asked one of my BFFs to watch his godchildren for an upcoming weekend so I can go out. He happily said "yes." Done deal!

It's great to empower your children and feed into their socialization, but you have to do the same for yourself. This gives you balance. And, since you are on a solo parenting journey and are the sole source for everything, you have to "Do You, Boo" as the founder of The Phenomenal Woman Empowerment Alliance always encourages. Try it. Start out with alloting 30 minutes to yourself when you get in the house in the evening and demand that there be no interruptions. Run a nice bubble bath. Light some candles. Put on some Sade or Mary J. Chill. Smile. Breathe. Be.

Email me at solomommymag@yahoo.com and let me know how things go. Progres is always empowering.

Until I write you next, I'm just living the solo mommy life.

Love ya!

Feona Sharhran Huff
http://livingthesolomommylife.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hats off to you ladies.... we have to learn to put away time from our busy schedule for "ME TIME" Have a fabulocious week ladies

SOLO, more to luv...