Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Lesson Learned in a Harlem Park




It's such a beautiful Thursday afternoon. Lady Clara, Sir Isaac and I traveled from Brooklyn, NY to Uptown (Harlem USA). Initially, we were headed to The Schomberg Center for Research in Black Culture. However, when we got there, the center was closed to the general public. There was a special event going on that you had to have signed up for previously to gain admission. I was a bit disappointed because I really wanted to see some of the newer exhibits that The Schomberg has on display. But then I said to myself, "This is Harlem. There is a always something to get into -- even if we had to stumble upon it."

We walked pass The Schomberg, which sits on on 135th Street and Lenox Avenue, and found a park where the children could play. We found a bench in plain view of where they'd be skipping, running and having a blast. I sat down. Lady Clara and Isaac took off. As chidren have a tendecy of doing, they made friends. One of the little boys has even gravitated to my two and is following them everywhere they go.

Lady Clara and Sir Isaac are enjoying themselves. I am enjoying watching them have fun. I'm also enjoying being able to break from the hustle and bustle of my ultra busy life to watch the birds run pass my feet, feel the cool breeze touch my face (oh yes, even on a humid day such as today, there's a breeze!) and just "be."

Today reminds me that I need to have more days like this -- not just when Lady Clara and Sir Isaac are out. I hope you're enjoying your day.

Until I write you next, I'm just living the solo mommy life.

Love you!

No comments: