Saturday, November 24, 2012

Saturday + Math Support = Academically Strong Children

Today, I'm not heading to the YMCA to work out nor am I attending any events. This Saturday is strictly set aside for math support for Lady Clara and Sir Isaac. So, we're assembled at the dining room table so that my sixth grade daughter and 4th grade son can practice problems on their respective level. They both have benchmark tests coming up in two weeks so I not only want them to be prepared for that but to also participate in overviews so that they stay on point. I took it "old school" with Sir Isaac and made up multiplication and division problems on loose leaf paper. Lady Clara has her school math book so I assigned her problems from it. After I check their work and corrections are made (if necessary), I'm going to let them do additional math problems at www.ixl.com. This is a fun, engaging and interactive math website with problems that range from Pre-K to geometry. The monthly fee for this service is $9.95 or $79 for the year. Sir Isaac is blessed to have this resource available for free through his school. I would pay for it if it wasn't, though, because what he is gaining by doing the exercises is well forth the cost. Math is his favorite subject so I definitely want to support him and his sister in excelling. Lady Clara and Sir Isaac have both shown an eagerness to do the math problems given. That's what I like to see! And, while some of the work has challenged them, but they are pressing through it. I encourage you to take time this weekend(as well as daily) to support your children in practicing for their school subjects. The time spent will be so beneficial as they do their classwork and homework as well as take school and state exams. FYI: In this photo posted, Sir Isaac got 17 multiplication problems right out of 18. He wanted 100 percent correct. I am still very proud of him and completely understand his academic desire. Until I write you next, I'm just living the solo mommy life. Love you, Feona Sharhran Huff. P.S. Be sure to leave a comment on the blog posts. Stay connected with me on Facebook. Request to join the "Living the Solo Mommy Life" group. Follow me on Twitter @ solomommy.

No comments: