Sunday, October 24, 2010

Your Child Can Do Come Complex Work, So Let Him!


Sir Isaac loves to do math. He mastered adding two-digits numbers in the first grade. Now, that he's a 2nd grader, I feel that he should be (and can be) calculating more complex math equations early on in the school year. Besides, I don't have to wait until something is taught to teach him, right?!

So, today, while chilling out in the education department after art class, I wrote down nine double-digit addition problems for him to do. I explained to him that when doing these types of problems, you always add from right to left, and that if you get a number with two digits, you write the number in the one's column down and "carry over" the number in the tens column.

After I showed him how to do it, I left him to handle his business. And so, it was on! Sir Isaac answered that 17 + 23 = 40, 10 + 28 = 38 and 18 + 25 = 42. I saw that he even corrected himself when he initially answered that 19 + 14 was 23. He changed it, by himself, to 19 + 14 = 33. That showed me that my son was ready to move on to more challenging math problems.

It's exciting for me to see Sir Isaac solve double-digit math problems with ease rather than frustration. I feel good in pushing him to do more. It's only going to advance him and shut down any signs of boredom. He knows simple multiplication, but I'm going to push the envelop on that as well. His mind is open and he's eager to learn. That's an incredible combination.

I think it does a child good to stretch his learning. And, when he gets it right -- even after a few times of trying -- he will feel good about himself because he'll realize that he CAN do it. The look on Sir Isaac's face was priceless when he knocked out those math problems on his own. I'm going to reward him. Shhhh.... don't tell him. It's a surprise! That's the other component to the learning equation. You have to reward your child for doing something new. It's encourages them to want to do more and get better.

Tonight, I'm going to give him some more double-digit problems. And, for each one he gets right, I'm going to give him money. He'll have to add up all of the money at the end of his math session to see how much he earns. If he adds correctly, he gets to keep it all. Learning is his job. It's cool for him to get paid for it. Well, sometimes (LOL).

I encourage you to see what your child can do. If, for example, he is reading two-sentence page books, see if he can read five-sentence page books. You may be pleasantly surprised to discover that it's a "piece of cake" for him and that perhaps he needs more. The learning process for our children can be so exciting for them -- and us. Do them a favor and keep them pushing higher and higher.

Well, until I write you next, I'm just living the solo mommy life.

Love you!

Feona Sharhran Huff
http://livingthesolomommylife.blogspot.com.

No comments: