Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Even When You Don't Get the Crown You're Still a Winner

Two Saturdays ago (June 1, 2013), Lady Clara, Sir Isaac and I traveled back to their hometown of New York so that she could compete in Phenomenal Women Charm School's Glam & Glitz Scholarship Beauty Pageant. Lady Clara was vying for "Phenomenal Teen", the category in which the young ladies were 13 to 19 years old. She and the three others going for the title were tasked with walking out on stage before a packed audience in the auditorium of the Museum of the City of New York to not only introduce themselves but to convince the three judges that they were truly phenomenal and worthy of a crown. This was Lady Clara's first beauty pageant and I was super excited for her. I stayed in the dressing room to help her quickly change into the three wardrobe pieces required for her category (business/casual, bathing suits and evening gown). She wore a black sleeveless black House of Dereon dress, two-piece multicolor bathing suit with a sheer wrap and Royal blue with silver rhinestones gown. Each time she graced the stage, I peeped through the crack of the dressing room doors to see my princess impress the powers that be. She was confident, poised, gave great eye contact, flashed that signature Huff smile and worked those three-inch heels every time(yes, you heard me right!). At the conclusion of the hour-long competition, the announcer revealed who would be named "Most Photogenic" as well as the names of the young ladies who would walk away with crowns in the respective four categories. When they called her name for "Most Photogenic", I nearly lost my voice exclaiming from the back of the room, "Go Clara... That's my baby!" However, she wasn't crowned "Phenomenal Teen". Still, she smiled and clapped for the winner. When she entered the dressing room afterward, I immediately hugged Lady Clara and told her just how proud of her I was. I reminded her just how far she has come in publicly exuding her confidence and that this experience would lead to bigger things and bring her further exposure and opportunities. My mom, Dorothy, who still lives in Brooklyn as well as my bestfriend Matthew Scott, were also on hand to congratulate and celebrate her. One of the pageant assistants was really impressed with Lady Clara and asked for my number to work with her in the future. Additionally, the director of the charm school, Sabrina Dore, texted me that a certified talent agent from New York wanted to send her off on some assignments. I have added her pageant accomplishment to her biography. I have uploaded photos of her pageant participation (here as well as on Facebook). I can't wait to receive the pageant journal and DVD in the mail. I know that this experience will take Lady Clara far in life. Although she would have loved to win the actual crown, she won so much more by participating. For one, it boosted her self-esteem to a higher level. Not everyone can go before a crowd of people and present themselves. She's actually interested in competing in other pageants here in the Hampton Roads area. I'm looking into those now. Until I write you next, I'm just living the solo mommy life. Love you, Feona Sharhran Huff. P.S. Be sure to leave a comment on the blog posts. Stay connected with me on Facebook. Request to join the "Living the Solo Mommy Life" group. Follow me on Twitter @ solomommy.

No comments: