Sunday, December 8, 2013

I Choose Chess for My Son... It's a "Thinking Person's Game"

I remember the first chess set that I purchased for Isaac back in New York. It was marble and brand new. I discovered it at a local shop near my after-school program. As soon as we got in the house, Isaac -- who was six years old at the time -- opened up the chess board, read the directions, assembled the pieces and began playing. I was totally impressed. Although completely new to this "thinking person's game", he seemed a natural. Over time, he'd enlist me or his sister to play him in a friendly game. He always won. Fast forward four years... Isaac is now 10 years old, and he continues to love the game of chess. In fact, the first place he makes his way to when we visit our local library, is the chess table (which is nestled in the back near the reference desk and computer station). It got me to thinking that I should really look into a chess program for him. Initially, I posted a request for leads on a social media site that I frequent, but I didn't get any responses. It wasn't until a three weeks ago when I posted a photo of Isaac at the chess table that Misti Goodson -- a childhood friend and advancement writer at our alma mater Norfolk State University -- suggested that I reached out to Dr. Arthur Bowman. She shared that he was the Head of the Biology department and taught students how to play chess. I called up Dr. Bowman, told him all about my son. He offered not only to help my son sharpen his skills but to coach me as well. Two days later, we were on campus for our first lesson. Dr. Bowman was very simple in his explanation of how the game of chess is played. I greatly appreciated that. And, I was able to catch on quickly. After playing a few games, I was feeling pretty good about my playing ability. Dr. Bowman wants to continue to coach both of us and even train me to facilitate a "Learn & Play" station in my community. I'm all for it. The beautiful thing about chess is that it's a game of critical thinking and strategy. You have to be one or two steps ahead of your opponent in order to be victorious in the end. I see Isaac being a Grand Master in his future. I'm going to see to it by keeping him involved in chess. I would encourage you to look into it for your son and/or daughter as well. Search the Internet for chess programs in your area. Also, check with your neighborhood and recreational centers.

No comments: