Monday, June 21, 2010

Appreciate the Small Things


After dropping off Lady Clara and Sir Isaac at school, I made my way to the park to take a short cut to the bus stop. I noticed that the Parks Department had cut the sprinklers on. Yes… summer is officially here! The sprouting water looked so cool and refreshing – especially on a smoking hot day as this – that I felt compelled to take a picture to remind me of the season and all it has to offer. As I was positioning my camera phone to take the snap shot, a fellow LPBS parent walked pass me with his son. Apparently, they were in the middle of a heart-to-heart conversation, when the father said, “You have to appreciate the little things.” Wow… how true of a statement that is! After all, it’s the little things that really count.

My son hugging me and telling me that I’m the best mom in the whole wide world means so much to me. My daughter fixing me a delicious salad and serving it to me means so much to me. My after-school students literally pulling at my arms all at once to get a chance to hold “Ms. Huff’s” hand means so much to me. These same students drawing photos of me with pigtails and a big grin on my face (oh how capture me so well… hee hee!) means so much to me. Receiving texts from friends just sending me a quick note to let me know that I am on their mind means so much to me. The fact that I have time (RIGHT NOW) to sit in the park and write this blog means so much to me. I take none of the fore mentioned things for granted. I appreciate them all!

Sure, we have a lot of pressures on a day-to-day basis to overcome. But, we must now allow them to cloud our hearts, minds and spirits and make us forget about the little things in life that mean so much. We need to sweat the little things in life. They are the things that truly make life worth living. The next time you take your children to the park, just watch the look on their faces as the slide down the slide or when they reach the end of the monkey bars. Their smile is an indication that their time is being spent having fun – with you. That is a little thing. But then, it’s a big thing, too. That – and many other memories – will forever be embedded in their minds.

No, it’s not going to be the $400 you spend on summer clothes or the Nintendo Wii that you buy them that will touch their hearts so deeply, but those days when all you had was you and your time to spend with them. It’s a little thing that’s really a big thing. It’s a beautiful thing, too! And, this editorial offering is a little gift from me to you that I hope you use to make big things happen for you and your children.

Until the next time I write you…. I’m just living the solo mommy life.

Love ya!

Feona Sharhran Huff
Founder & CEO
Solo Mommy Magazine
“Empowering you with savvier ways to live a simpler life”
http://livingthesolomommylife.blogspot.com

No comments: