Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Feet Don't Fail Me Now!


I woke up this morning at 7:03 am. Fairly early, right?! Not when Sir Isaac's school bus comes between 7 am and 7:10 am. Just as I dashed to the window to peep out of the blind, I saw the yellow bus rolling up to his pick-up spot. His school is about 10 blocks away -- and while I'm a walker and it'd be no problem -- I was concerned that it'd be too much on my son's little legs. I had no choice, though. I had to get him to school. I wasn't going to let him lose out on learning time because I overslept. This all meant that I had to hustle. I quickly ironed his clothes and got him dressed. We walked out of the house at 7:23 am. A student's considered late at 7:45 am. I boosted myself up and said, "Don't worry, Feona, you'll get there on time."

Although we were speed walking down the road, we were still late. When asked why was Sir Isaac tardy when we entered the main office, I explained that we'd missed the bus. The administrator understood because it's a real hike from my house. She wrote him a note, I gave him a kiss and he was on his way to class. Could I breathe for a second now?! Nope, I still had to go back and take Lady Clara to school.

I sprinted out of my son's school building and began high tailing it back to the apartment. I told my daughter that she was going to have to iron her clothes because I wouldn't be able to do it based on the distance that I was away. The big girl that Lady Clara is, she got her clothes and ironed them. When I did a time check, it was 8:06 am. Oh no... She had to be in school at 8:15 am. And, I clearly wasn't going to make it because I still had three blocks to go. When I finally got to the house, I made sure she had everything and then we headed out. She got to school at 8:23 am.

I was very upset -- not with her or her brother but with me. It is always my intention to get the children to school on time and if I don't, I feel really bad. I shed a tear because it really bothered me. Then, I began deep breathing and praising God for my feet. Yes, I was late getting them to school. But, given the distance from one school to the next and all the walking I had to do in between, I did pretty good. The blessing was really in the fact that I didn't give up. Neither did my feet.

No comments: